My photo
Morocco
"Chance encounters are what keep us going." -Murakami

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Adaptation

As humans, we are incredibly complex. Everyone knows this, but I still must point this out. We have a very unique gift. While the word “gift” is not the word that my science and logical mind wants to use, I will still use it…but I will explain. Humans have evolved over time, as all species have, and naturally have adaptability to the various environments we choose to inhabit, to a point. The reason I use the word “gift” is because I feel privileged to be a human, and feel that this evolution has given us the gift of adaptability. Some people may say there is a higher power that has “blessed” us with that gift. That is perfectly alright if you wish to have that belief. I am just talking through my science and logical mind.

For example, I came to Morocco having no language except a small, mostly unusable piece of French. Almost immediately, I was placed into surroundings that were completely new: A new way of eating and drinking communal style, and new bathroom type and style, and a different climate. These are in addition of course to the language, religion, gestures, and everything else that goes into making a culture unique, which some could argue everything.

While I consider myself more adaptable than average, this may not accurately be the case. I feel that there is a direct correlation between the experiences I have had previously, and my ability to adapt. In short, I am saying that I believe I am more adaptable than the average due to these learned adaptability moments. So the flaw in the logic and accuracy of the statement is that I have had experiences to learn from and use as background knowledge for these adaptability moments, and probably more than the average person. (I also apologize if I just completely confused anyone, hope it made sense.)

You may wonder where exactly I am going with this. I can’t say I totally know where it is heading myself. It all stems from a movie I was watching.

I sat down for breakfast this morning after watching a portion of “Into the Wild.” If you have not seen this movie, watch it. It has everything to do with adaptation to environment (yes I know the end is lack of adaptation). It is based on a true story, and that is all I will say without giving it away. The music is quite fantastic, and Eddie Vedder could not have done a better job in creating the pieces to go along with the movie… But back to what I was I was saying.

So I sat down for breakfast with the movie going in my head, music and all. I began to think about my current situation, and adaptability. I was using my new acquired language to speak, and I was eating in a manner that is only a few months new to me. But, I felt entirely comfortable with my surroundings. There was a natural sort of feeling about it that struck me, and thinking about the movie it just clicked. I am adaptable. I am adaptable enough to learn entirely new things in a matter of a few months. True, I have had the help of those around me, my fellow humans around me who can teach me and know the basic essentials of humanity. Even though the people around share almost zero common history, and there are few common experiences, my fellow human beings have aided me in learning how to live the way that they live, because they are humans as well.

Sure, that is deep, or something. But it is true. The adaptive nature of humans has allowed us to dominate portions of the world. This is not a new and revolutionary thought. We have learned, and we have helped each other learn.

Think about it. Think about other animals you know. Think about teaching in every aspect, and think about domestic dogs and cats. Why dogs and cats???

Well, domestic dogs and cats look very different on the surface. You have various breeds, and those breeds are large, small, brown, black, yellow, spotted etc. All of these traits are different. Yet deep down, they have the same set of genetic DNA that allows them to intermingle and breed, creating new offspring. Stay with me here.

Humans are similar in that aspect. On the surface, we look very different, but we have the same genetic make-up that allows us to breed with someone who is quite different from us on the surface as far as traits go.

But compare dogs and cats and humans. As humans, we are the only species that can teach the others around us from entirely different languages, places, and experiences. This enables me to be taught everything in order to survive here in Morocco.

Yes, I understand that in many animal species, offspring are taught how to do various tasks by family members. But think of the scale difference going on here, and the fact that a group of people I have never met before has taught me the things I know. Dogs do not do this, birds do not do this. I am completely fascinated by this, if you couldn’t tell.

So the main point of this is that humans are incredibly adaptable to the environments in which they choose to inhabit. This has allowed us to live everywhere in the world, and to become the most abundant animal (size wise) on the planet. Of course there are some habitats that humans cannot even live for very long in without extreme adaptability (think Everest here.)

I apologize for the stream-of-consciousness style of writing I sometimes use, and if I have confused anyone, or bored anyone in the process of this entry.

With that said, if you followed me to this point, thanks. I have been extremely busy the past few days, having had to go to the big city of Meknes for a meeting, and then helping the current PCVs get moved out of their place. I have also been meeting and discussing work and potential projects, and all of this is going as well as I think it can go.

I recently made a playlist for the PCVs that are leaving, as a sort of parting gift. They have done incredible work here, and I can only hope to build off of that. Once again, they have taught me the things they know about life and work here, and allowed me to adapt more easily than I would on my own. While I have only known them a short time period, I certainly will not forget everything they have given me here, and I hope for them the best as they re-adapt back into America.

So here is the playlist:
Homesick - Kings of Convenience
Car Song - Woody Guthrie
Last Year’s Man - Leonard Cohen
#41 (Live at Luther College) - Dave Matthews/ Tim Reynolds
Do You Remember Walter? - The Kinks
Livin Thing - Electric Light Orchestra
Jogging Gorgeous Summer - Islands
Goby - Kaki King
Neighborhood - David Byrne
Lisboa A Noite - Theivery Corporation
Les Champs-Elysees – Darjeering Limited Soundtrack
Knoxville Girl – Charlie Louvin
Tianchi Lake – The Mountain Goats
Winners – K’s Choice

I have also been reading more. Here is a good quote that hit me in a good way the other day.

“That’s the way the mind works: the human brain is genetically disposed towards organization, yet if not tightly controlled, will link one imperial fragment to another on the flimsiest pretense and in the most freewheeling manner, as if it takes a kind of organic pleasure in creative association, without regard for logic or chronological sequence.”
- Tom Robbins “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates”

This is my exact sort of thoughts on thinking (maybe you could tell that in the above writing). Much Love.

Word.

No comments: