My photo
Morocco
"Chance encounters are what keep us going." -Murakami

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Fasting, and Breaking Fast (Part 2)

The food of Ramadan is completely different then I have had before coming to Morocco. While I had technically had eaten everything that is served during Ramadan while I have been in Morocco, I had yet to eat them all at the same meal. So here are the typical foods and drinks for breaking fast.

Coffee/Tea – Drank throughout the meal. Coffee basically is hot milk topped off with a bit of coffee. Tea (and coffee) is typical for Moroccan breakfasts and tea times.

Water – Self-explanatory; after fasting all day, it is important to drink water. However, common misinformation in Morocco has it that you need to drink tea/coffee first. Not sure exactly the story behind this bit.

Dates – Usually, dates are the first thing eaten when the call to prayer goes off in the evening. Morocco is famous for dates, and they are quite good.

Shabekiya – These are the cookies/pastries eaten during Ramadan. It is a mix of almond, anise, butter, and flour and sugar (probably other things as well, but I forget off hand). Cut out and folded, and then fried. After frying, it is dipped immediately into a pot of honey. Then it is taken out, sprinkled with sesame seeds, and cooled. The honey soaks into some of the pastry, making it super sweet.

Eggs – Hard Boiled eggs, either eaten on their own with a pinch of cumin and salt, or else mixed in with the Harira (soup).

Harira – Traditional Ramadan soup, a semi-spicy tomato based soup with small bits of meat, pasta, chick peas, lentils added for some good protein. Usually 2-3 bowls are eaten by people while breaking fast.

Smeeta – This is a dry almond blend, similar to what is in Shabekiya (other than flour and butter). Also eaten at the various celebrations in Morocco and during tea times.

Fat Bread – Yes, it is what is sounds like… I am not sure exactly how it is made, but basically bread that is stuffed with a mix of fat, vegetables, and spices. Reminds me of what a calzone would be like minus the sauce and the meat. Even though it sounds odd, it is fantastic.
Desert – This is the American’s addition to breaking fast. I typically eat with my site-mate, and she makes a mean desert. So sometimes she/we will cook things like apple turnovers, or a pineapple upside down cake, and bring them along. The host family enjoys them, and it is a good way to show them typical American dishes.

So overall, it may seem like a lot of little things, but you basically stuff your face and stomach. After your stomach has contracted all day and you are dehydrated, you stuff yourself until you are uncomfortable. You have a lack of calories and nutrients, and all of the sudden your body is forced to digest. It basically results in a food coma that leaves you feeling out of it for a while, and uncomfortable. I will add that typically, Moroccans also eat a dinner around 1-2am (typical Tajine type dish), before going off to sleep. I pass on that, and just break fast, and then later eat some fruit before I go off to bed. Recently grapes and figs have been the fruits of choice.

I think that basically covers the food potion of Ramadan. In my last part of this Ramadan series, I am going to discuss my thoughts about Ramadan, and the sorts of things that I see and hear around my village.

Much Love,
Me!

No comments: