My photo
Morocco
"Chance encounters are what keep us going." -Murakami

Monday, June 22, 2009

The Running of the Cows

For some strange reason, this is my favorite part of the day. That is, when I am able to witness the occurrence.

The first time I witnessed these shenanigans was while I was sitting outside my host-brothers shop. I was about to walk home, and along the main street plodded two large heifers (sorry if that is an incorrect usage of the word). I was kind of dumbfounded that would just go along there merry way, not bothering anyone, and with no owner in sight. I figured that they had to be loose (as I have seen animals get here) and were just going to find greener pastures. I continue watching as the cow proceeds to turn down MY row, and continue on its confident way. All the while she is mooing as she goes. This cow has horns, and could easily take out a child or two along the way, maybe knock a guy off a bike, or dent a few cars. But nothing happens, no problems. I mean, the cars tend to slow down to stay out of the way, but generally the cow could care less.

Another day I was walking home from a hike with some fellow volunteers, and there were about seven of them in front of us, just wandering down the street. Some were turning off at random other streets, as if they knew the exact way home (I am not sure though). Some cows decided to get distracted by some tugwa (weeds/wildflowers) that had been gathered for other barn animals to eat, and stopped off for a snack. I knew this was wrong, so I stepped in and scared the cow away. While I am glad that the cow did not realize she was quite capable of charging me and mini-goring me (these cows have small horns), she just nonchalantly went on her way, and realized that she could not eat it.

I am utterly (Wow that is bad) amazed that the saying “Until the cows come home” actually exists in real life. It is my favorite part of the day, and it usually occurs between 5-7pm, when the sun is starting to go down. I am not of the farming background, but even though I have spend a bit of time of cattle farms, I have never seen cows parading everyday down a main street, and people just going about their business. I can now tell people (other Americans) here that I cannot meet “until the cows come home.”

I just had to share this will all of you folks and I only wish that you could see this occurring on the main street in the town where you live. Maybe for some of you country raised folks (my parents,) you can shed some light on this saying for me, and tell me if you have experienced it yourself.

Album of Choice: Karate- “Some Boots”
Book Currently Reading – “On the Road” –Jack Kerouac

Much Love,
Me!

No comments: