My photo
Morocco
"Chance encounters are what keep us going." -Murakami

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Bienvenue au Maroc

Hello from Maroc!

I made it here quite alright, other than exhausted. I have been in training, been busy, and so, this post will be short.

I have eaten awesome food, seen some sweet things, and most of all, started on my adventure into the peace corps. I have so so much to say. We are currently training in a nice place, a mid-major type city, and its great getting my first bit of culture. So much has happened in terms of sight placement etc... but I really will get into this more later.

We are semi still in our bubble with training being inside all day, and when we walk around in the eve during free time, you can't help but get that feeling of "oh yeah, we are in Morocco".

I think so far the most exciting thing is the taste of spring. It has rained the most in 30 years here, and therefore we have immense green everywhere, it was such a contrast from the winter brown and nastiness I left only a few days ago.

About the Flora: Cacti, bushes, orange and lemon trees, olive trees as big as oaks and maples back home, and so many weeds (wildflowers!!!). It is so lush, but i do know that spring is early for a reason... uber hot summers and cacti mean semi-arid landscape.

About the Fauna: No real wild animal encounters yet. There are livestock: Sheep, Goats, Cattle, Chickens, Roosters, Donkeys, Mules, Horses. All of which are very important in the life of many Moroccans. I loved the bus ride for being able to see the country and some cities as well!

I am also glad that I am not overwhelmed by anything, and actually feel fairly safe (although always on alert) and ready for action. Learning some Darija (moroccan arabic) has been good, it will be a challenge, but we are altogether 60 people learning, so we kind of inspire each other... or at least they all inspire me.

I am off now, but have so much more later, I hope that anyone reading this is doing well, and i miss all of you dearly!

insha'ullah (peace be with you!)
Ciao! and Much Love!
Eric

No comments: